A Loving Father and the 1930 Yearbook

My mom is 97, fairly healthy, and lives with us. Not long ago she and I went out together on the Internet to look at her old hometown of Council Bluffs, Iowa. She hasn't lived there since the 40s but it's still 'home' to her, of course. There are a lot of memories tied up in the place where you grew up.

We spent some time looking at Abraham Lincoln High School and I found a link on the Pottawatamie County Genealogical Society's page where you could request photographs. Her graduation year, 1930, was listed, so I sent off a request, mentioning that Mom had never received a copy of her yearbook. I forgot about it until today when I received an email telling me... well, here, read for yourself:

Hi, You are in luck - we have a spare 1930 AL yearbook. I find your mother pictured, so pretty. If you want to purchase the book we ask $10.00 plus $2.00 postage and handling.

Now, I'm not so sure it's luck at play here! Mom tells a story about how she never purchased a yearbook because she had stretched her father's budget pretty far and just didn't want to ask for more to get the book. Then one evening somewhat later someone was visiting and her father asked to see the yearbook. She confessed she hadn't gotten one--and he was upset (probably a bit embarrassed). That's most likely why she remembers it some 79 years later.

Needless to say, I'm delighted to spend $12.00 to be able to give her something so long awaited. Mom has made a new commitment to the Lord in the last two months, so it's no surprise to me that her Heavenly Father has seen fit to supply something that fell through the cracks all those years ago.

That's the Abba I know!

Deborah

Comments

  1. OH, Deborah!
    What a very wonderful story!
    At long last she (and you and your family) will have a copy of the yearbook and see you mother and her friends!
    Blessings!
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blessing. Isn't our God just so amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The yearbook has arrived and she is having a memory fest you wouldn't believe. What a treasure! I was so surprised--this is a beautifully bound leather covered book with many pages of photographs in it. I expected something much more modest for the cost. It even has the signatures of some of the students in the back, so it obviously belonged to someone before. Mom's friends and family and school and home are all so rich and alive to her through this gift. God is SO good! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts