20-Stroke Painting

Sometimes it's a good idea to cut to the bone and see what comes of it. This exercise is a way to challenge myself to get down to what is really needed to express something, using efficient strokes. I tried to limit myself to twenty. I enjoy the beauty of the loose strokes, the incidental marks, and the simplicity of the expression.


It may be a bit like those times when the Lord cuts away part of your "flesh life." It's so easy to get in the habit of having everything cushy and comfortable, and just going on your way through life without thinking about it. Then one day the Lord removes something--something you thought of as natural and forever, like the use of one part of your body. One day a part breaks or ends up being incapacitated, and you recognize that it's inconvenient, challenging, even slightly faith-shaking, but when you get down to the essence, you really can function without it. In fact, in some ways you notice that you get it, understanding what you really need and what you can forgo. It may not be as cushy, it may not be too comfortable, but it may allow you to see that you can function with less.

I wonder what the Lord might do with that in your life? It brings new meaning to "less is more", when I think that I gain from losing.
Then he said to the crowd, "If any of you wants to be my follower, you must put aside your selfish ambition, shoulder your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life." Luke 9:23-24 NLT

Comments

  1. Your "self-limitation" surely brought you to a great creation of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cecelia. I enjoyed a visit to your web page and coming to understand synesthesia a bit more. Your work is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts