Wanting. Waiting.

Lord Jesus, teach me to pray unceasingly, expectantly, leaning forward to wait with my eyes wide open. I don't want to miss seeing what You do.

I often fall into praying for my will to be done. (So human of me.) 

Surely what I want is good, right? It feels that way. 

I can reason out that if this whatever it is were to take place, it would help. All the circumstances point to it.

Yet as I pray fervently for it to come, I'm transported through time. I'm ten, swinging my feet as I sit in the pew. I want to go play, to escape the somber grown-up world. You, my Daddy, lean forward to place a hand on my shoulder, giving me a look that firmly and lovingly says, “Wait.” 

But I want it now. 

Wait, You assure me. Wait.

Ten fades, the fifty-odd intervening years resume their weight of reality, and I read:

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.
For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:18

The here-and-now can be so persuasive. What I lack presses on my thoughts, goading me, a constantly recurring frisson of anxiety nipping at parts inside me, the not-yet-here robbing me of peace.

On the days when I perceive life as going the way I think it should, I feel happy, yet I know that happiness is time-bound. It has a shallow root—it blooms and fades in a day. 

No, this isn't waiting for the other shoe to drop, it's just a fact that what is seen really is transitory.

Johnathan Edwards said, “Lord, stamp eternity on my eyeballs.” I get that. I want to view life through an eternal lens, focused on the unseen. 

Why does it seem so hard?



I groan again as I realize I have to try.







Lord, self-discipline is a fruit of the Spirit. Let trying grow out of me as naturally as a plum follows the pink blossom of spring. 





I will sit still on my pew, quietly trusting that today is custom made for me. 

Today I have. Don't let me poison it with wanting, when I can rest beside still waters, soul restored.












Each day lean over me, placing Your hand on my shoulder again, teaching me to trust You and wait. 

Remind me: Don't swing your legs, anticipating what hasn't come yet. Lean forward in prayer, yes, but abide in what is now. Today. 

Your will, Lord. Done






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who's Your Daddy? by Priscilla Shirer

Spongy