Isaiah 61:10- Clothed in Salvation

This morning I studied a wonderful verse:



I will greatly rejoice in the LORD,
My soul shall be joyful in my God;
For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
He has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments,
And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.


I can't help but think of the painting by Klimt called The Kiss:



Jesus has given me the unmerited gift of eternity with Him. It's this robe of righteousness that only He can give, and I'm sure it's far more beautiful than I can imagine or ever paint, but if I could it would be dazzlingly lovely, shining and fair, bright and beautiful beyond compare. He gives it to me, as He offers it to anyone who asks, out of His agape, the sacrificial love of God, enfolding me in an embrace that is far more precious than any other. Amazingly, He has offered me HIS righteousness to cover my lack, like the robe that a Hebrew bride wears, symbolizing her new role as part of the life of her husband, covered by his name.

Lately I've been studying the armor of God in Ephesisans 6, asking to understand more about what that means. Oddly, although it pictures the garb of a soldier, I can also see it as a gorgeous garment of salvation. Picture the parts:

  • the belt of truth
  • the breastplate of righteousness
  • the shoes of the preparation of the gospel of peace
  • the shield of faith
  • the helmet of salvation
  • the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God

I'm surrounded by truth, which holds all together. My heart is covered with His perfection. I walk on the solid foundation of Jesus Christ's peace. Faith protects me. My mind is covered, knowing He has done the work of salvation. And His Spirit pierces with the word, raising others to new life.

What could be more romantic than to be enclosed in a loving embrace, like the woman in Klimt's painting, only to find that it is God Himself covering me with His robe? Encased in His armor, I am IN CHRIST, and so I see it as a robe that's the loving gift of my Savior and Lord, who loves me as His bride.

Comments

Popular Posts